Zoe and I decided to drive to Canberra for her June/July school holidays in Prado #2
We had three reasons for this:
- Visit Cate
- Have a nice long drive (this was mainly me)
- Get Zoe started on her learner driving (she got her L plates on the day we left)
We left Mareeba on Monday 20th June and camped the night about 150kms outside Hughenden
We had hoped to connect to Zoe’s Distance Ed class but had no internet (we had left for the trip in the last week of term).
Drove to Longreach – I had a headache and it was pretty cold so stayed at Longreach Caravan Park which was nice and friendly. Next morning the park owner told me it was the coldest day they had experienced this year!
Zoe had a drive today – did very well!
We took a few Seamus Shortcuts so Zoe could drive on empty wide outback roads – mostly nice smooth dirt.
And on Wed night camped outside Charleville – very cold again.
Zoe drove a bit today and we ended up at the Rivergum Tourist Park in St George – they didn’t have any cabins left but offered us an old 3-bedroom Queenslander house for the same price as a cabin – a fantastic deal.
I was very tired and depressed that night – a few problems
- solar panel buggered – glass all shattered – don’t know whether it’s still making electricity
- Rear door not opening properly
- Passenger door not closing properly
- Hema not charging properly (may be alright – still to check)
- broke keyboard upright little thingy
I did get a good night’s sleep and next day drove to Canberra – arrived about 10:30pm – it was a long day!